Gently Down the Seymour is a full day field trip at the Seymour Hatchery and Education Centre. A visit to the hatchery has students experiencing three interactive stations, each with an outdoor component. Each station experience is approximately 55 minutes in length. The Seymour River Hatchery provides all station materials for the field trip day. Students will have the opportunity to use tools of investigation, like chest waders, microscopes and thermometers to explore the life and habitat of Seymour River Valley.
A tour of Seymour River Hatchery to discover the role a hatchery plays in salmon conservation, view adult broodstock, as well as Coho and Steelhead fry.
Investigating Aquatic Invertebrates to show the diversity of stream life, the lunch of a salmon fry and the indicators of stream health.
Conducting a Stream Survey to identify the characteristics of healthy salmon habitat. Searching for evidence of salmon spawning.
Fall 2018 Field Trips
- Remaining Dates Available:
October 5, 8, 15, 22, 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 31
- Field Trip Time: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Grades: 2 to 6
- Cost: $125 + GST ($131.25) per class – by cheque or secure online via PayPal
- We do not accept registrations by phone or email.
- Our facility accommodates 1 class per day. Our program is designed to maximize the opportunities for the hands-on involvement of our visiting students.
- Registration is first come first serve. Classes that do not receive a field trip date during the first round of registration will be placed on a waitlist.
- We offer a maximum of 2 field trip spaces per school.
- Prepare for registration by identifying 3 field trip dates that work for your class. If your 3 selected dates are no longer available, we will offer an alternative. Additional details about your availability help us to offer a suitable date.
- A payment of $125.00 + GST (by cheque or by credit card via PayPal) will be required by October 1st.
- A confirmation email will be sent starting June 4th, with one of your chosen field trip dates and payment information. Please add email@example.com to your email contacts to be sure to receive it.